VA Compensation Claims

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

VA Compensation Claims

The Dallas County Commission of Veterans Affairs can assist with filing Compensation Claims through the VA. We ask that you call and schedule an appointment and bring the following documents:

  • DD214 (s)
  • Applicable dependent records (birth certificates, marriage license, adoption records, social security #)
  • Private medical records
  • EFT information: either a voided check or account and routing number
  • Listing of which disabilities you would like to apply for including what in service incident caused them and applicable dates.

 Eligibility Requirements

Compensation benefits require that your disability be service-connected. You must also have separated or been discharged from service under other than dishonorable conditions.

Disability Compensation Your disability must be the result of an injury or disease that was incurred or aggravated while on active duty or active duty for training; or from injury, heart attack, or stroke that occurred during inactive duty training. A disability can apply to physical conditions, such as Lou Gehrig's Disease, as well as mental health conditions, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) Surviving spouses of a Servicemember who died on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty for training may be eligible for DIC. Children may be eligible for DIC if not included in the surviving spouse's DIC benefit.

Special Monthly Compensation Disability compensation recipients may be eligible for this additional tax-free benefit due to the special circumstances of your disability, if you are housebound, or need help performing daily living functions.

 For more information, please click here.