General Relief

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
 Who is eligible for General Relief?                                        APPLICATION

There are two (2) categories of general assistance in Dallas County, Iowa. They are assistance for needy persons and for poor persons.

Needy persons are defined as: a person or the family unit of that person who has legal settlement in Dallas County, Iowa and who, because of circumstances which are not attributable to that person, needs immediate assistance.

Poor persons are defined as: a person or family unit who has no property, exempt or otherwise and are unable, because of physical or mental disabilities, to earn a living by labor.

How is eligibility for relief determined?

If you reside in Dallas County and are a U.S. Citizen or legal alien, the first step is to complete a General Assistance application and provide the requested information. Providing inaccurate information will result in a determination of ineligibility and will render the applicant ineligible for General Assistance for a period of six months. Our General Assistance worker will review your application and if you meet our eligibility criteria, you will meet with the GA worker to help you determine your needs.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: Funding may not always be available due to County budget constraints.

What services are available?

  • Emergency food assistance
    • Referrals will be made to the food pantry, SHARE program, as well as having the clients fill out a food stamp application.
  • Shelter
    • Benefit limits are the reasonable rental value not to exceed $400.00, or lower, based on funding availablity.
    • Rent will only be paid to the landlord. Payments will not be paid to a sub-renter or relative. Rent will not be paid in advance. House payments will not be paid as it creates an estate.
    • Deposits will not be paid for rent, gas, water or electricity.
    • Shelter such as hotel/motel may be provided for poor persons with a value not to exceed $150
  • Utilities
    • Assistance with utility costs shall be provided only in the amount of the actual cost for current usage, which allows continuance of service and not service provided for prior months. Assistance under this category does not include deposits, taxes or penalties. The amount shall not exceed current month.
      Heat, lights and water are the only utilities that will be considered.
    • Failure to pay on utilities during moratorium will result in denial of assistance.
    • Utilities must be in the name of the applicant or another member of the household. If the expense of utilities is being shared with a non-applicant, the payment is prorated.
  • Medical Services
    • Assistance will be given for prescriptions, and also for some medical needs that require no prescription, such as insulin and needles.
    • Dental assistance for immediate need and to relieve severe pain.
    • Eye glasses may be authorized one time only. Client must pay for exam and one-half cost of glasses.
  • Hospital Services - No hospital services will be provided to a needy person if any of the following apply:
    • The person was offered enrollment in his/her employer’s medical insurance program and voluntarily declined said enrollment unless client can show good cause.
    • The occurrence for which medical services are claimed would have occurred within the coverage period of the employer’s medical services insurance program, had the person enrolled which offered, and continued enrollment as long as eligible.
    • General assistance cannot assist on Medicare deduction except for poor persons 65 years old or older, under 18 years of age, or disabled.
    • Prior authorization will be required for medical services, if possible. For medical expenses the usage of State Papers shall be explored before medical payment is authorized within the community. All obstetrical care will be provided at the University of Iowa Hospitals.
    • When prior authorization was not possible, the office must be notified within the next working day by client or representative. A telephone call will be acceptable as notification.
    • The county reserves the right to set a maximum liability for itself in hospital bills and doctor fees. The maximum allowed to a hospital or doctor is $450.00, unless otherwise approved by the Board of Supervisors.
    • No out of state or out of county medical costs will be approved if needed services could have been provided locally or at the University of Iowa Hospital. Medical payments will be made for services and goods to local hospital, physicians, and health care provisions for reasonable value of medical care authorized.
      Indigent persons in need of medical help must apply for medically needy and denial must be received for assistance to be considered.
    • For State Papers, the patient must be medically indigent and condition should be of a nature as to require prolonged hospital care, extensive surgery or medical treatment. In no instance will State Papers be approved without the recommendation of a physician, nor will State Papers be approved for routine check-up or diagnosis. When State Papers are approved, they are effective for the entire fiscal year, regardless of the number of admissions to the University Hospitals.
  • Burial
    • Payment for burial expense is limited to a maximum of $1500.00 plus the cost of opening and closing the grave not to exceed $350.00. Social Security Death Benefits shall be deducted from this amount. Any insurance, assets, resources or family contributions must be applied to burial expenses before General Assistance payment will be made.
    • Cost of cremation shall not exceed $750.00
    • The General Assistance payment must represent payment in full.